Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Most Games Without Losing

Last week I ended a run of 80 games unbeaten, obtaining in the process the new record in GW7, beating Rich's previous record of 60 games.

See below...



This was the squad I did it with...



That form got me up to 3rd in GW7, a position I stayed in for two weeks (now currently 6th).

A lot of managers in GW7 don't think much of LB and RB, where as with my tactic they are pretty important. I had Guilherme at LB and Eboue at RB - both running forwards often. Eboue was an absolute diamond, he got 32 assists and Guilherme 47 - although the stats don't tell the full story. They powered down the wing and won me loads of corners, which in turn turned into goals for people like Ledley King. He was solid last season, scoring 37 goals himself.

The key was having a solid backbone. I had a brilliant DC in Ledley King, great attacking DL and DR that worked perfectly with my tactic (Guilherme and Eboue), a proven AMC in Aquilani and Balotelli really came of age at ST. Naturally it would be great to have 11 world class players, but unless you are absolutely loaded, it's not gonna happen. So you should aim to have great players in the key positions for your tactic at least. One amazing player in one position isn't enough. Sure if David Villa is through on goal he will score, but if you have 4 complete plonkers at the back and a clown of a keeper... you're gonna leak a lot of goals!

1 comment:

N.R. McLaren said...

A lot of people seem to struggle with fullbacks, and I've never understood how - mine love to bomb forward and make a great contribution to my team, both offensively and defensively.

What I would say is that it's not a critical position - I'm happy to get good quality guys on cheap wages at fullback, which lets me save money for other positions.