Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My name is Gav and I'm a FML'aholic

My name is Gav (jeej on the forums) and I manage Flying Dilla Dubstep in GW7 on the Football Manager Live Beta Test. I've been in GW7 since it began at the end of Feb and I thought now might be the time to share my thoughts, blog-stylee!

When GW7 started it was like a 5 year-old's first day of school. Everything was bright and exciting, yet there was a bit of nervousness and apprehension too.

I auto selected my squad, then sorted the wheat from the chaff and kicked the really crap players to the curb. Then I scoured the open market for players to fill the gaps, whilst staying within budget. My initial squad was ok and faired pretty well, but most of us were caught cold when some of the GW7 inhabitants that had played in previous worlds used their enhanced knowledge and experience to pull a few choice tricks. My boys were still lacing up their boots when one manager pulled out the big guns and signed Samuel 'bloody' Eto'o. Ouch - he ripped us all to shreds, often scoring at least 3 goals a game.

But it didn't take too long for people to start earning money through feds (now FAs) and friendly comps. And as more players became unlocked (as new managers joined GW7) more superstars were signed. My first big name players were Rafael Palladino, Giorgi Chiellini and Raul Albiol. Palladino had the skills but was far too inconsistent upfront - hindsight tells me that the most successful strikers in GW7 have bags of pace, and Palladino didn't. Chiellini was immense playing as an attacking left FB but I eventually sold him for (what as then) big bucks to help fund other improvements. Still miss him. Raul Albiol was my rock, easily one of the top 5 CBs in GW7. I sold him to Rich's Hairy Nosepickers at the beginning of season 3 for the sum of 6.25 million.

Since then I've done a fair bit of wheeling and dealing. I have been a top 50 ranked side for the past two seasons and a top 10 ranked side for the past season or so. Peaking at 3rd place where I stayed for about a week. Then Rich's regrettable Sexxxy Saturday Football comp ruined it all, but I wont go into that!

I am also FA Organiser for the DFA (Daytime Football Association). Our playing hours are 8:30am - 12:30pm, British time. I am currently based in Australia, so it actually works out to be my evening time, which is spot on. Hence the DFA has a mix of Europeans wanting to play in the morning and Asians and Australians wanting to play in the evening. It is my job to recruit teams to join the FA and also my job to administer the running and rules of the relevant leagues and cups - relegations and promotions etc...

Well that's a brief introduction to me, my team, and my general experiences thus far. I'll aim to update this daily with regards to what has been going on both for my team and Gw7 - I hope you will find it informative and enjoyable to read. If you want to ask me anything or contact me with regards to your own experiences on FML, drop me a line: gavin.handley[AT]gmail.com.

No comments: